Effective Date: June 1, 2021
This Applicant Privacy Notice describes how Databricks, Inc. and its group of affiliated companies collect and use personal data during the application and recruitment process. It also provides details on your personal data rights and how to exercise your rights with us.
Types of personal data collected
We may collect the following types of personal data from you during the applicant recruitment process:
- Contact Information. We will collect basic contact information such as your full name, email address, and phone number.
- Work History. As part of the application process we may collect a resume, CV, cover letter, or job application which may include information about your education, experiences, and job history.
- Educational Information. We may collect information including degrees awarded, transcripts, and other information in support of the job application.
- Online Resources. We may collect publicly available information from online sites, such as information contained within your LinkedIn profile, Facebook page, or other personal websites.
- Diversity and Inclusion. Where allowed or required by law we may ask you to provide information such as ethnicity, gender identity, veteran status, or any disability or accommodation request during the recruitment process.
- Candidate Assessments and Presentations. For certain roles, we may collect information from an assessment of your skills. You may also be asked to do a presentation during the recruitment process, which may be recorded and shared with the Databricks internal teams responsible for the hiring decision.
- Reference Information. We may collect reference information where applicable, including information provided by third parties.
- Information from Third Parties. We may collect information about you from recruitment agencies who presented you, Databricks employees who referred you, referees, and background checking companies that are used to verify the information you have provided during the application and recruitment process. We may combine such information with the information we receive or collect from you.
- Background Check. We may, as permitted by law, choose to conduct a background check, which may include verification of your education, job history, and references.
- Other information. We also collect any additional information that you choose to include in your application materials or share with us during the application and recruitment process including information collected during phone screens and interviews.
Purposes of collection and use
We may process your personal data for the following legitimate business purposes:
- We collect and use your contact information to keep in contact with you during the recruitment process, including through our applicant tracking system, and to contact you about other open roles that may be of interest to you.
- We review your resume/CV and any information collected from online resources to assess your skills and experience against the position for which you have applied.
- If you are asked to complete an assessment or provide a presentation during the recruitment process, we will use that information to match your skills against the position for which you applied.
- If you are successfully moved forward in the recruitment process, we may use your information to perform background checks, education verification, and reference checks, as permitted by local law.
- If you are hired by Databricks your personal information will be transferred to your employee file.
- If you are not successful in the recruitment process, we may hold onto the information collected during the recruitment process, including your personal data, so we can reach out to you if other roles become available that match your skill set. If you would prefer that we remove you from this notification, please let us know.
- We may process personal data to comply with our legal, regulatory, or other corporate government requirements.
- We may also process your personal data to analyze and improve our application and recruitment process.
Disclosure to third parties
We may share your personal data with the following types of third parties:
- Within the Databricks company group. We may share your personal data within the Databricks company group to facilitate the application and recruitment process.
- Service Providers. We may engage service providers to perform certain functions related to the application and recruitment process, including companies that help us run our internal applicant tracking system, perform background checks, or perform audits. All third parties that act on our behalf in the application and recruitment process are subject to confidentiality provisions and the requirements that they will only use your personal data to provide the services.
- Legal Requirements. We may disclose your personal data when authorized by law or as necessary to comply with a legal process.
- Protection of Rights. We may disclose your personal data when required to protect and defend the rights and property of Databricks and its group of affiliated companies, our third-party vendors, and other users of any websites used in the applicant and recruitment process.
- Databricks does not ‘sell’ the personal information of California consumers (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)) collected during the application and recruitment process to any third party and we will not do so without offering you the right to opt out of any ‘sale’.
Legal basis for processing
- Consent. In certain cases, we ask you for your consent to process your personal data. You can withdraw your consent at any time by emailing [email protected].
- Performance of a Contract. We collect and use your personal data where it is necessary to take steps, at your request, prior to making a job offer, completing a contract of employment with you, or to perform our obligations under an agreement we have with you. For example, we use your personal data to make you a job offer or complete a contract of employment with you.
- Legitimate Interest. We may process your personal data for legitimate interests including, for example, improving our application and recruitment processes and detecting and preventing illegal activities and potential security issues.
- Other Legal Bases. In some cases, we may have a legal obligation to process your personal data. We also may need to process your personal data to protect vital interests, or to exercise, establish, or defend legal claims.
Transfer of your personal data
Your personal data may be processed in the countries where you have applied for a job, the United States, or any other country where Databricks or its group of companies have operations. Any third party processing your personal data on behalf of Databricks must comply with all relevant privacy laws in order to protect your personal data in any country where they process or transfer your personal data.
Databricks adheres to and has self-certified to the U.S. Department of Commerce EU-U.S. Privacy Shield and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data transferred from the European Economic Area, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom to the United States. If there is any conflict between the terms in this Privacy Notice and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall govern.
Retention of your personal data
We will retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, and comply with any laws or regulations. Databricks may retain your data longer with your consent or for a legitimate business interest where we have assessed the business benefit and confirmed that this is not outweighed by your personal rights and freedoms.
Your rights to your personal data
If you are located in certain parts of the world, including the European Economic Area, the United Kingdom, and other legal jurisdictions (for example, California), you may have certain rights to your personal data. These may include your right to request access to or to update your information, request that it be deleted, or object to Databricks using it for certain purposes
You can exercise your rights by submitting your request at [email protected]. Depending on your location, you may also raise any concerns you have regarding our collection and use of your personal information with your local data protection authority.
Security of your personal data
We use technical and organizational measures that provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal data. Please be aware, however, that no method of transmitting information over the Internet or storing information is completely secure.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may update this policy from time to time by posting a new version on this page. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about this Applicant Privacy Notice or wish to exercise your rights in your personal data, please contact us at [email protected] or at the mailing addresses below. We will respond to your request within a reasonable time or as otherwise required by law.
Databricks Inc. Attn: Privacy 160 Spear Street Suite 1300 San Francisco, California 94105 United States