Effective Date: January 3, 2023
This Applicant Privacy Notice describes how Databricks, Inc., its affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, “Databricks,” “we,” “us,” and “our”) collect, use and share personal information during the application and recruitment process. It also contains information about your choices and privacy rights
Information We Collect About You
We may collect the following personal information during the applicant recruitment process:
- Contact Information. We will collect basic contact information such as your full name, email address, and phone number.
- Work History. As part of the application process we may collect a resume, CV, cover letter, and/or job application which may include information about your education, experiences, and job history.
- Educational Information. We may collect information including degrees awarded, transcripts, and other information in support of the job application.
- Online Resources. We may collect publicly available information from online sites, such as information contained within your LinkedIn profile, Facebook page, or other personal websites.
- Diversity and Inclusion. Where allowed or required by law we may ask you to provide information such as ethnicity, gender identity, veteran status, or any disability or accommodation request during the recruitment process.
- Candidate Assessments and Presentations. For certain roles, we may collect information from an assessment of your skills. You may also be asked to perform a technical exercise or do a presentation during the recruitment process, which may be recorded and shared with the Databricks internal teams responsible for the hiring decision.
- Reference Information. We may collect reference information where applicable, including information provided by third parties.
- Information from Third Parties. We may collect information about you from recruitment agencies who presented you, recruiting sites, Databricks employees who referred you, referees, and background checking companies that are used to verify the information you have provided during the application and recruitment process. We may combine such information with the information we receive or collect from you.
- Background Check. We may, as permitted by law, choose to conduct a background check, which may include verification of your education, job history, references, and criminal records history.
- Other information. We also collect any additional information that you choose to include in your application materials or share with us during the application and recruitment process including information collected during phone screens, email/messaging exchanges and interviews.
Purposes of Collection and Use
We may process your personal information for the following legitimate business purposes:
- We collect and use your contact information to keep in contact with you during the recruitment process, including through our applicant tracking system, and to contact you about other open roles that may be of interest to you.
- We review your resume/CV and any information collected from online resources to assess your skills and experience against the position for which you have applied.
- If you are asked to complete an assessment or provide a presentation during the recruitment process, we will use that information to match your skills against the position for which you applied.
- If you are successfully moved forward in the recruitment process, we may use your information to perform background checks, education verification, and reference checks, as permitted by local law.
- If you are hired by Databricks your personal information will be transferred to your employee file.
- If you are not successful in the recruitment process, we may hold onto the information collected during the recruitment process, including your personal information, so we can reach out to you if other roles become available that match your skill set. If you would prefer that we remove your information from our systems, please let us know by emailing [email protected].
- We may process personal information to comply with our legal, regulatory, or other corporate government requirements.
- We may also process your personal information to analyze and improve our application and recruitment process.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your personal information with the following types of third parties:
- Within the Databricks group of affiliated companies. We may share your personal information within the Databricks group of affiliated companies to facilitate the application and recruitment process.
- Service Providers. We may engage service providers to perform certain functions related to the application and recruitment process, including companies that help us run our internal applicant tracking system, perform background checks, or perform audits. All third parties that act on our behalf in the application and recruitment process are subject to confidentiality provisions and the requirements that they will only use your personal information to provide the services.
- Legal Requirements. We may disclose your personal information when authorized by law or as necessary to comply with a legal process.
- Protection of Rights. We may disclose your personal information when required to protect and defend the rights and property of Databricks and its group of affiliated companies, our third-party vendors, and other users of any websites used in the applicant and recruitment process.
Legal basis for processing
- Consent. In certain cases, we ask you for your consent to process your personal information. You can withdraw your consent at any time by emailing [email protected].
- Performance of a Contract. We collect and use your personal information where it is necessary to take steps, at your request, prior to making a job offer, completing a contract of employment with you, or to perform our obligations under an agreement we have with you. For example, we use your personal information to make you a job offer or complete a contract of employment with you.
- Legitimate Interest. We may process your personal information for legitimate interests including, for example, to conduct our recruitment processes efficiently or to manage applicants effectively.
- Other Legal Bases. In some cases, we may have a legal obligation to process your personal information. We also may need to process your personal information to protect vital interests, or to exercise, establish, or defend legal claims.
Databricks may transfer your personal information to countries other than your country of residence. In particular, we may transfer your personal information to the United States and other countries where our affiliates, business partners and services providers are located. These countries may not have equivalent data protection laws to the country where you reside.
Wherever we process your personal information, we take appropriate steps to ensure it is protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable data protection laws. These safeguards include implementing the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses for transfers of personal information from the EEA or Switzerland between us and our business partners and service providers, and equivalent measures for transfers of personal information from the United Kingdom. Where necessary, we also make use of supplementary measures to ensure your information is adequately protected.
We will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, and comply with any laws or regulations. Databricks may retain your personal information longer with your consent or for a legitimate business interest where we have assessed the business benefit and confirmed that such business benefit is not outweighed by your personal rights and freedoms.
Your Privacy Rights
Depending upon your residence, you may have certain rights in relation to your personal information. Depending on applicable data protection laws, these may include your right to request access to or to update your information, request that it be deleted, or object to Databricks using it for certain purposes. If you wish to exercise any of your rights under applicable data protection laws, submit a request online by completing the request form here or emailing us at [email protected]. Depending on your location, you may also raise any concerns you have regarding our collection and use of your personal information with your local data protection authority. California residents, please see below under “Additional Information for California Residents” for information about rights that may be applicable to you.
We use technical and organizational measures that provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Please be aware, however, that no method of transmitting information over the Internet or storing information is completely secure.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may update this policy from time to time by posting a new version on this page. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about this Applicant Privacy Notice or wish to exercise your rights in your personal information, please contact us at [email protected] or at the mailing addresses below. We will respond to your request within a reasonable time or as otherwise required by law.
160 Spear Street
San Francisco, California 94105
Additional Information for California Residents
We provide the following information to our applicants or candidates who are California residents, pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act (“CCPA”). For a description of all of our data collection, use and disclosure practices, please read this Privacy Notice in its entirety.
Categories of Personal Information
Below, we describe the categories of Personal Information (as defined in the CCPA) that we have collected within the preceding 12 months and may collect about applicants or candidates on a going-forward basis:
- Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)) (e.g., name, address, email address)
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law
- Internet or other similar network activity
- Geolocation data (e.g., general location derived from an IP address)
- Sensory data (e.g., audio, electronic, visual or similar information including candidate assessments and presentations)
- Professional or employment-related information
- Education information
- Inferences drawn from the preceding categories of Personal Information
Within these categories of Personal Information, we may also collect the following categories of Sensitive Personal Information (as defined in the CCPA):
- Account log-in in combination with any required security or access codes, password, or credentials allowing access to the account
- Social security, driver’s license, state identification card, or passport number
- Racial or ethnic origin, for diversity purposes and consistent with applicable law
- Health-related information, to the extent necessary to provide necessary accommodations
Categories of Recipients of Personal Information
For each category of Personal Information (including Sensitive Personal Information) listed above, we disclose this information as described above in the “How we share your information” section of the Applicant Privacy Notice.
Sources of Personal Information
We obtain the categories of Personal Information listed above directly from you or from devices on which you use our Sites, as well as described above in the “Information we Collect About You” section of the Applicant Privacy Notice.
Purposes for Which We Use Personal Information
We use Personal Information for a variety of business and commercial purposes, as described above in the “Purposes of Collection and Use“ section of our Applicant Privacy Notice.
Retention Period Criteria
Databricks retains the personal information as described above in the “Data Retention“ section of this Applicant Privacy Notice.
CCPA Rights and Requests
To the extent provided by the CCPA, you may make the following types of requests under the CCPA with respect to Personal Information that we process on our own behalf.
Requests to Know, Correct, and Delete:
You may request:
- Access to a copy of the specific pieces of Personal Information that we have collected about you;
- Correction of Personal Information that we maintain about you, if it is inaccurate; and/or
- Deletion of Personal Information that we maintain about you, subject to certain exceptions
You may submit such requests by completing the request form here or emailing us at [email protected]. We will respond to your request consistent with the CCPA, and subject to any exceptions that may apply under the CCPA. We may need to request additional Personal Information from you, such as email address, state of residency, or mailing address, in order to verify your identity and protect against fraudulent requests.
If you wish to use an authorized agent to make a CCPA request on your behalf, please direct the authorized agent to use the submission methods noted above. As part of our verification process, we may request that the authorized agent provides, as applicable, proof concerning status as an authorized agent. We may also require you to verify your own identity directly with us; or directly confirm with us that you provided permission to submit the request on your behalf.
You have the right to be free from unlawful discriminatory treatment for exercising any of your CCPA rights.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any additional questions.